Work Experience is a compulsory part of the 6th Form experience at CBSC. All students in Year 12 are expected to complete a placement during the course of the year. Employability or work-readiness is becoming more and more important to universities and employers. While qualifications remain essential, with very few exceptions, they are no longer the only consideration. By gaining work experience in relevant sectors our students can gain a real advantage when applying for university or work. While on work experience students will be able to talk with and observe skilled and qualified people who can give them a better idea of what their job involves. It is an opportunity to network and find contacts.
All students are expected to find their own work placements. Taking personal responsibility for finding the placement and researching their further education and career path is an important part of the process. While we will provide support in school it is vitally important that students do apply for and secure a placement for themselves.
Students attend an initial assembly and meeting about the process and we will be organising further sessions to help those students who require support. If your son/daughter is having any difficulty with the process please ask them to come and see our 6th Form Administrator for support.
Work experience can be undertaken in a number of ways:
- Work experience block at the end of Year 12
- On-going extended work experience, agreed with Director of 6th Form in non-contact periods.
During the academic year there will be a number of guidance and support sessions to assist the process of securing placements. Students must though be proactive in securing their own placements.
All placements must be checked for suitability and Health and Safety by Sutton Education Business Partnership.
How to find a work experience placement
- Ask friends or family for support.
- Ask teachers or Sixth Form team for contacts.
- Apply to a work experience scheme online.
- Send a speculative letter or email direct to a firm.
- Join Linkedin and ask companies directly.
- Get your CV and cover letter Work Experience ready (see study skills class for guidance)
Examples of Work Experience Schemes
- http://in2scienceuk.org/ (Science Specific)
- https://www.nuffieldfoundation.org (Science Specific)
- https://barclayslifeskills.com/ (Credits through online tasks which leads to secure placement)
Useful Websites when trying to secure work experience
Click on a link to access the site.